Shamrock shakes are a classic Irish treat, filled with milk and topped with whipped cream. This festive variation keeps the same ingredients but adds in some booze to make it feel like you’re celebrating St. Patrick’s Day all year long!
The “alcoholic milkshake” is a festive drink that can be made with alcohol or non-alcoholic ingredients. This recipe will make one large shake, but you can also divide it into smaller portions and serve them in individual glasses.
This festive milkshake recipe will give your St. Patrick’s Day shamrock shake a boozy boost. This boozy Shamrock Shake is a great way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.
« These 12 Festive St. Patrick’s Day Cocktails and Appetizers could appeal to you.
Saucey ($5 OFF your first purchase + free delivery with code SAS) and Drizly ($5 OFF your first order of $20+ using this link) both deliver this and other liquors to your door. Only in a few states is this offer available.
The shamrock drink from McDonald’s pales in comparison to this drunken shamrock shake. It’s the grown-up version of a timeless classic that everyone enjoys. The addition of Crème de Menthe and Irish cream transforms this creamy cocktail into a festive and joyful version.
Every year during our St. Patrick’s Day party, we prepare them. They’re a hit with everyone because of the bright color and the fact that they’re not your average shamrock shake.
You’ll Need These Ingredients
This dish just requires a few Ingredients and is very simple to prepare. The Creme de Menthe is usually the only item you’ll need, and you can use it in other drinks so it doesn’t go to waste after you’ve just used a few ounces.
- Use any brand of vanilla ice cream you choose. I like Haagen Daaz because it is creamy and delicious.
- Milk – this helps to thin out the milkshake and make it less thick. Simply omit the milk if you want it thick.
- I use Bailey’s Irish Cream, but there are many different kinds available.
- Creme de Menthe — You won’t need much of this, but it gives the dish its distinctive minty taste. You may also use non-alcoholic Creme de Menthe syrup.
- Just a drop or two of green food coloring will enough. Put in as much as you like to make it your favorite shade of green.
- Whipped cream – Purchase a can of whipped cream to quickly spritz over the shake.
- Green sprinkles – You may use any green sprinkles or St. Patrick’s Day sprinkles.
There are a few things you can do to make this recipe go faster.
- Because I don’t have a blender, I use my immersion blender and create the shakes directly in the measuring cup that comes with it. Alternatively, you can just chuck everything into your blender.
- I measure the alcohol using a cocktail jigger rather than a measuring cup.
- Milkshake glasses — For the most celebratory effect, choose a tall milkshake glass or a Belgian beer glass.
To make a boozy Shamrock Shake, follow these steps.
- In a blender, combine the ice cream, milk, Irish cream, Creme de Menthe, and food coloring.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Pour the mixture into glasses.
- Whipped cream with green sprinkles on top
Is it possible for this Shamrock Shake to be alcohol-free?
Yes, you can create a non-alcoholic version of this shamrock smoothie by omitting the Irish cream and substituting non-alcoholic syrup for the Crème de Menthe. This will allow the kids to drink it, allowing you to create one for the entire family.
YOU MIGHT ALSO APPRECIATE
Do you like this dish? We’d appreciate it if you saved it to your Pinterest board so that you may share it with others! FOR MORE GREAT RECIPE IDEAS, FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, AND FACEBOOK! If you succeed, share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #savoredsips.
Time to prepare: 5 minutes
5 minutes in total
This festive milkshake recipe will give your St. Patrick’s Day shamrock shake a boozy kick. This boozy Shamrock Shake is a great way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.
- 4 cups ice cream (vanilla)
- milk (two tablespoons)
- Irish cream, 2 oz.
- Crème de Menthe, 2 oz.
- green food coloring (1-2 drops)
- Toppings: whipped cream and green sprinkles
- Mix the ice cream, milk, Irish cream, Crème de Menthe and food coloring in a blender. Blend until completely smooth. Pour the mixture into glasses. Whipped cream with green sprinkles on top
The Ninja countertop blender comes highly recommended. It’s a 1000-watt blender with six blades that can crush ice. For roughly $80, you can get a professional-grade blender. This is a fantastic purchase, particularly if you prepare a lot of frozen drinks and smoothies.
It’s worth saving for later!
Laura is the creator and editor of Savored Journeys, a travel blog. She is committed to disseminating the most up-to-date knowledge about beverages from across the globe.
The “spiked mint chocolate chip ice cream” is a delicious, refreshing drink that can be made for the upcoming holiday.
- boozy mint chocolate chip milkshake
- boozy malts
- mint chocolate chip alcoholic drink
- boozy christmas milkshakes
- hard shakes